Heading off to university can be a scary experience for many reasons. For some students, it could be an exciting time, but also nerve-wracking for many other students. That’s why settling into your new student accommodation quickly and effectively is so important. I have always been told “Home is the starting place of love, hope and dreams.” and I swear by the adage. Having had to switch home multiple times in my life, I know first hand all the challenges that come with moving into a new surrounding. I have documented all my learnings from moving houses into the blog. So do check it out and let me know in the comments sections if you enjoyed reading it. So let’s get started!
Here are some tried and tested tips on settling into your new student accommodation –
- Get in touch with your flatmates before you arrive at your student accommodation. If you have a friend who wants to study with you, UniAcco can accommodate you and your friend at the same property! Give a call on +44 808 501 5198 | 000 800 040 3523 for a free property consultation.
- Join Facebook groups to get insights on what it is like to study abroad. If you are studying in the UK then join our Facebook group.
- Strike up a conversation with your new flatmates right away. Having a good rapport with your flatmates is important while settling into your new student accommodation.
- Check out the events calendar that will be left in your kitchen or room and sign up for some of the activities as a group.
- Go out for a meal or a drink together to familiarise yourself with your new city.
- Work out a schedule for cleaning and taking bins out. It’s better to do this early and get it out of the way. This can be a fun exercise if done with the right spirit.
- Decide with your flatmates on which Freshers events you want to attend. This is one of the best tips on settling into your new student accommodation.
Once you have nailed down the basics, you need to keep the following things in mind. Ensure you follow this for settling into your new student accommodation well.
Look After Yourself
Since you are going to be all by yourself in a whole new living environment, it is important you take proper care of yourself. Late nights, all-nighters, hangovers, takeaways and full English breakfasts can take their toll on your health. Try establishing some good eating habits and workout programmes right from Day 1. Adopting a healthy lifestyle will help with your studies and your overall well being.
We’re not just saying this because of the devastating effects of the pandemic but because it is important. UniAcco student accommodations provide residents with complete security thanks to 24/7 CCTV surveillance, secure access, key fob entry system, 24/7 on-site staff and much more. Make sure you follow all the protocols in place to make sure the accommodations are safe for both the residents and staff. This is one of the most important tips on settling into your new student accommodation.
Manage Your Finances Well
One of the most important skills you will learn as an international student is money management. Have a rough approximation of what you’ve got to spend each week and try to keep to it. One way to combat the high cost of studying abroad is by making the most of special student discount cards.
Keep On Top Of Your Coursework.
Try your best to strike a good work/life balance so that you are in control of your studies. Speak to your professor or course representative if you need any help with your coursework. If at any point you feel overwhelmed by studies, talk it through with a friend, and if needed, take the assistance of the university counsellor.
Stay In Touch With Your Family
Don’t be fooled that you are all alone in a new country. You will always have your family for support. Make sure you keep in touch with your folks at home as they’ll constantly be wondering how you’re getting on. It’s also worth staying in contact with friends from home. You could also arrange for them to come and visit as UniAcco allows free double occupancy on select properties at no extra cost.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog on ‘Tips On Settling Into Your New Student Accommodation. If you wish to read more blogs like this, here are some blogs that we think you will enjoy reading –
- How To Find Your Perfect Student Accommodation
- How To Deal With Pesky Landlords?
- Why Is UniAcco The Best Value For Money Student Accommodation?
If you need any assistance with your student accommodation search, call us on 000 800 040 3523 or simply write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org, to get in touch with one of our property consultants. Visit UniAcco today!