North Ryde is a vibrant suburb in Sydney, Australia, that offers a great environment for students to live and study. It is home to Macquarie University, one of the top universities in the country, as well as many other educational institutions, research centres, and businesses. North Ryde has many attractions for students, such as parks, shopping malls, restaurants, cinemas, and sports facilities. It also has excellent public transport links to the city centre and other parts of Sydney. In this blog, we will provide a complete student housing guide of North Ryde.
If you are looking for student accommodation in North Ryde, you have many options to choose from. You can find budget-friendly halls, studio apartments, private flats, and shared houses that suit your needs and preferences. Read on to unfold more aspects of student housing in North Ryde.
When To Start Looking For Student Housing In North Ryde?
An all-time peak in demand exists for housing for students. Don’t wait; reserve your space right away before the price goes up.
- Some student housing options at North Ryde Student Village have start dates in January 2023 or 2024.
- You can also check out other suburbs in Sydney that offer student accommodation, such as Kensington, Parramatta, Ryde, Croydon and Concord.
Things To Keep In Mind While Choosing Accommodation
Choosing accommodation in North Ryde can be a challenging task, especially for students who are new to the area. Here are some things to keep in mind while making your decision:
- Consider your budget, preferences and needs. Do you want a private room or a shared apartment? Do you need amenities like WiFi, laundry, gym or parking? How far are you willing to commute to your campus or city centre?
- When considering student housing options in North Ryde, it’s essential to compare different types of accommodations, including on-campus housing, off-campus housing, homestays, or hostels. Each option within the student housing guide North Ryde has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, so it’s crucial to weigh them carefully to make an informed decision that best suits your needs and preferences.
- Read reviews from other students who have stayed in the accommodation you are interested in. They can give you honest and realistic feedback about the quality, safety, cleanliness and service of the place.
- Book your place as early as possible, as the demand for student accommodation is high and the availability is limited. You can use online platforms like UniAcco to find and reserve your room easily.
Best Areas To Stay In North Ryde For Students
When seeking the best places for students to live in or near North Ryde, it’s important to follow an ideal student housing guide in North Ryde. So, we listed down some best places for students to live in or near North Ryde:
- Ryde, which has one of the lowest crime rates in Sydney’s central suburbs and is close to shopping centres, parks and schools.
- Northwood, which offers water views and is on the lower North Shore of Sydney, just 8 kilometres from the CBD and has a small population.
- Chatswood West, which is also on the lower North Shore and has a low crime rate, good transport links and a mix of residential and commercial areas.
- North Ryde, which is the suburb where Macquarie University is located and has a low crime rate, a nature reserve and a business park.
Top Universities Near North Ryde
Following are some top universities near North Ryde where most international students prefer to study because of their facilities, courses and renowned name:
Macquarie University, a top 250 global research university, offers popular courses in actuarial studies, commerce, psychology, media, and law. With over 40,000 students, including 12,000 international students, the university boasts a multicultural campus, industry partnerships, and green initiatives. International students pay between $30,000 and $50,000 per year.
Macquarie Graduate School of Management (MGSM)
MGSM, a leading business school in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region, offers postgraduate courses in management, including MBA, Master of Management, and PhD. With over 3,000 students, 40% international, and state-of-the-art facilities, the school charges an average annual fee of $45,000 for MBA and Master of Management.
University of Wollongong
Sydney CBD Campus, a satellite of the University of Wollongong, offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in business, engineering, information technology, health, and social sciences. With over 1,000 students, 70% are international, with fees ranging from $25,000 to $35,000 per year.
Cost Of Living In North Ryde
One of the factors to consider when studying in Australia is the cost of living. However, the total cost of living with off-campus accommodation per month is AU$ 2,643, while the total cost of living with on-campus accommodation per month is AU$ 2,763. This means that the annual cost of living with off-campus accommodation is AU$ 31,721, while the annual cost of living with on-campus accommodation is AU$ 33,156. Therefore, choosing off-campus accommodation can save a student about AU$ 1,435 per year.
Following is the breakdown of the cost of living for a student on monthly basis, as relevant to a student housing guide North Ryde:
|Items||Cost (per Month)|
|Off-Campus Accommodation||AU$ 816|
|On Campus Accommodation||AU$ 936|
|Total Cost of Living with Off-Campus Accommodation (Per Month)||AU$ 2,643|
|Total Cost of Living with On-Campus Accommodation (Per Month)||AU$ 2,763|
|Annual Cost of Living||AU$ 31,721|
Transportation In North Ryde
There are different modes of transportation in North Ryde, such as bus, train and metro. The cost of transportation depends on the distance travelled, the time of the day and the type of ticket. Following is a table that shows the average cost of transportation in North Ryde for a single adult trip, as per the analysis of Moovit app. The costs are based on using an Opal card, which is a smart card that can be used for public transport in Sydney and the surrounding region.
|Bus||1-3 km||AU$ 2.24|
|Bus||3-8 km||AU$ 3.73|
|Bus||More than 8 km||AU$ 4.80|
|Train||0-10 km||AU$ 3.61|
|Train||10-20 km||AU$ 4.48|
|Train||20-35 km||AU$ 5.15|
|Train||35-65 km||AU$ 6.89|
|Metro||Any distance||AU$ 3.61|
Things To Do In North Ryde
North Ryde is a suburb of Sydney, located about 15 kilometres north-west of the Sydney CBD. It is home to many businesses, universities, shopping centres and recreational facilities. It is also close to some of the iconic attractions of Sydney, such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.
For international students seeking activities in North Ryde, this list, along with a student housing guide North Ryde, offers valuable suggestions to make the most of your time in this vibrant suburb.
- Macquarie Centre– It is one of the largest shopping malls in Sydney. It has over 400 stores, including fashion, electronics, homewares, books and more. It also has a cinema, an ice rink, a bowling alley, a karaoke bar and a VR arcade.
- Macquarie University – It is a Sport and Aquatic Centre, which is a state-of-the-art facility that offers a range of sports and fitness activities. You can swim in the indoor or outdoor pools, play tennis, squash, basketball, volleyball or badminton, join a group exercise class or work out in the gym.
- Sydney Harbour Bridge– It is one of the most famous landmarks in Sydney. You can walk or cycle across the bridge, enjoy the panoramic views of the harbour and the city, or even climb to the top of the bridge for an exhilarating experience.
- Sydney Opera House- It is another iconic symbol of Sydney. You can admire the stunning architecture of the building, watch a performance of opera, ballet, music or theatre, or take a guided tour to learn about its history and secrets.
Questions To Ask Before Finalising Accommodation
Finalising accommodation in North Ryde can be a challenging task, especially for students who are new to the area. To assist you in making an informed decision, this student housing guide North Ryde recommends asking these critical questions before finalizing your accommodation:
- What is the security deposit and how is it refunded?
- What is the application fee and is it refundable?
- What is the waiting list charge and how long is the waiting period?
- How far is the accommodation from your office or college and what are the transport options available?
- What are the rental charges and how often do they change?
- What are the utility charges and are they included in the rent or separate?
- What are the amenities and facilities provided by the accommodation and are they accessible at all times?
- What are the security measures and emergency services in place at the accommodation and in the neighbourhood?
- What are the rules and regulations of the accommodation and what are the consequences of breaking them?
- What are the contract terms and what are the conditions for renewal, termination or subletting?
There are different things you might need to bring to your new accommodation depending on the type of property, the facilities available and your personal preferences. Here are some general categories of items you might want to consider:
- Kitchen items: such as cookware, dishes, cutlery, food storage containers, etc.
- Bathroom items: such as towels, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc.
- Bedroom items: such as bedding, pillows, clothes hangers, etc.
- Living room items: such as furniture, curtains, rugs, lamps, etc.
- Electronics: such as laptop, phone, charger, adapter, etc.
- Documents: such as ID, passport, visa, rental agreement, etc
North Ryde offers a range of student housing options, including apartments and shared accommodations, making it an attractive choice for students attending Macquarie University or other nearby institutions. Its proximity to educational facilities, transportation links, and amenities ensures convenience and a conducive environment for academic pursuits. However, students should conduct thorough research and consider their specific needs and budget when choosing housing in North Ryde.
1. What are some of the student housing options near Macquarie University – North Ryde Campus?
There are various types of student housing available near Macquarie University – North Ryde Campus, such as halls of residences, studio apartments, en-suites, flats and private apartments. You can choose the one that suits your budget, preferences and lifestyle.
2. How can I find the best student accommodation?
You can use online platforms like UniAcco to compare and book student accommodation near Macquarie University – North Ryde Campus. These platforms offer professional guidance, best prices, free service and secure booking.
3. What are the transport options in North Ryde?
You can use buses, trains or metro to travel to other parts of Sydney. The nearest bus stop is Macquarie University Bus Station, which is a 5-minute walk from the campus. The nearest train station is Macquarie University Station, which is a 10-minute walk from the campus.
4. What are some of the amenities and services near North Ryde?
North Ryde has a range of amenities and services for students to enjoy. You can find shops, cafes, restaurants, banks, post offices, medical centres, pharmacies and more on campus or nearby. You can also visit Macquarie Centre, which is a large shopping mall that offers entertainment, dining and retail options.
5. Is North Ryde a good area?
Yes. North Ryde is generally considered a good area due to its proximity to amenities, educational institutions, and transportation options.
Thank you for reading about the ” Student Housing Guide North Ryde.” If you’re interested in exploring more articles on related topics, we recommend checking out the below articles: