Australia is a massive continent with many unique landscapes, natural wonders, and extraordinary experiences for people. If you aren’t already in love with this country, then perhaps these random fun facts about Australia may change your mind. For a quick dose of the best random facts Australia, check out the list below –
1. Australia is the only continent in the world without any active volcanoes.
2. In 2006, an Australian man tried to sell New Zealand on eBay for a starting price of A$0.01. The price had risen to $3,000 before eBay closed the auction.
3. If you visit one new beach in Australia every day, it would take over 27 years to see them all.
4. Brisbane hosts the annual world championships of cockroach racing.
5. The ratio of sheep to people in Australia is 3:1.
6. The largest Greek population in the world, after Athens in Greece, can be found in Melbourne Victoria.
7. The Australian Alps receive more snowfall than Switzerland.
8. Marsupials like koalas, wombats, kangaroos and quokkas are found only in Australia.
9. There are 60 designated wine regions in Australia, producing approximately 1.35 trillion bottles of wine every year.
10. After New Zealand, Australia was the second country in the world to give women the right to vote in 1902.
11. Canberra was selected as the Australian capital because Sydney and Melbourne could not stop arguing which city should be the capital.
12. Australia is home to the longest fence in the world with a length of 5,614 km long.
13. 90% of Australians live on the coast with Perth, Sydney and Melbourne being the most popular residential areas.
14. Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world.
15. The Great Barrier Reef is the largest ecosystem in the world with nearly 2,500 individual reefs.
16. Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world.
17. A single cattle ranch in South Australia is larger than the state of Israel.
18. The world’s longest golf course (more than 850 miles) is located in Australia.
19. Australia has the world’s longest stretch of dead-straight railway track, measuring 297 miles in length.
20. Australia is home to 10 of the world’s 15 most poisonous snakes.
21. The only two mammals in the world that lay eggs are found in Australia, the platypus and echidna.
22. Around 1 million wild camels walk freely in the Australian deserts.
23. Australians developed a fake animal to further scare tourists. The drop bear was purported by mainstream institutions including the Australian Museum to drop from trees and attack tourists. There is no drop bear.
24. Australia has three national Frisbee teams.
25. In 2005, the government issued a ban on saying the word ‘mate’ at Parliament House. The ban lasted 24 hours before it was overturned.
26. Swimming at public beaches in Australia during the day was made illegal for 64 years.
27. Australia’s first police force was made up of 12 convicts who were judged to be the best behaved.
28. The average Australian drinks 83 litres of beer per year.
29. Melbourne has the largest public tram system in the world.
30. While mining is one of Australia’s biggest industries, more land is covered by pubs than mines.