Healthcare in the UK | International Students

Health Services In The UK For Students

The National Health Service (NHS) in the United Kingdom’s public healthcare system, offers a wide range of services such as doctor’s appointments, hospital treatment, and dental care. As soon as you get to the UK, you should register with a doctor. Your college can help you with this and may even suggest a GP practice. Health Services in the UK for students are available for free as well. Read this article to further understand it all in detail. 

Individuals who wish to secure free health services in the UK for students must follow the following criteria to access one. Here’s the entitlement:


To be eligible for free NHS care, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Studying full-time for more than 6 months on a course.
  • The UK government has generously financed your course.
  • You are a citizen of a European Union country (EU).
  • If your country is not a member of the EU, a bilateral agreement is required.
  • If you live in the UK with your spouse or wife who is a student and fits any of the requirements listed above.
  • If you are dependent on someone who fits the above conditions, such as a youngster under the age of 16 or 19 who is enrolled full-time in school.

If you do not match any of the above conditions, you should consider getting health insurance; however, emergency treatment in A+E and NHS walk-in centres will not affect your health coverage.

Accessing Health Services In The UK For Students

You must register with a doctor i.e, a General Practitioner (GP) in a health centre or at your university’s onsite medical centre once you arrive in the UK. The GP will be a general practitioner who specialises in family medicine and will be competent to see and counsel everybody from newborns to the elderly. Nurses will also be available at GP surgeries to help with minor illnesses, injections, and repeat prescriptions.

It’s free to register with a GP, and it’s a good idea to do so because no one wants to be sick and alone when away from home.

Visitors | Health Services In The UK For Students

If your relatives or friends visit you when you’re studying at university in the UK, keep in mind that they won’t be covered by the NHS unless they have a European Health Insurance Card. If they aren’t, they must obtain the requisite health insurance. If your visitors require immediate assistance, several colleges will register them as temporary residents and patients.

Existing Conditions

Health services in the UK for students with existing conditions are essential. It is even more necessary to register with a doctor (GP) upon arrival if you have a pre-existing ailment for which you are currently receiving treatment or are on specialised medication. This is because you will almost certainly need to see them during the academic year, even if it is just for a check-up or a prescription. By registering at a GP surgery and scheduling an appointment to speak with a doctor about your health, you are giving the doctors access to important information and allowing them to contact appropriate doctors and specialists. This is especially useful if you are waiting at home for test results or a diagnosis from your doctors.

If you need specialised treatment or tests that your doctor can’t provide on-site, they can refer you to specialized units or hospital services. Remember to double-check that you meet the requirements and that your student visa qualifies you for NHS treatment. If not, make sure you have health insurance in place, especially if you’ll be away from home for an extended amount of time, because you never know what can happen.

Short Study Stay | Health Services In The UK For Students

If you apply for your visa from abroad and it is granted for less than six months, or if you are required to make several short study visits to the UK, you should consider purchasing medical insurance because you will be responsible for NHS charges for treatment received in the UK, except medical emergencies, which are limited. Some countries have reciprocal agreements with the UK, which may allow you free NHS healthcare, but you should check with your home country’s health authorities to determine what treatments are covered. European Economic Area citizens should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

If you liked reading this blog on Health Services In The UK For Students then make sure you check out our other informative blogs linked below!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Share this blog

Health Services In The UK For Students

Healthcare in the UK | International Students

Secure your student accommodation now!

Enquire now & Get Attractive Cashback!!