Globally, most international students study in the United States. Due to its academic excellence, adaptable educational system, cultural diversity, dynamic campus life, special curriculum, and numerous job/internship chances, it is a well-liked study destination among international students. If you’re planning to relocate to the USA, it is wise to plan your expenses in advance and set budget limits. The average cost of living in the USA for students ranges between $1,504 to $1,850 per month. This covers the cost of your lodging, board, meals, transit, textbooks, appropriate apparel for the weather, and entertainment.
International students may frequently wonder where they will live, whether their budget will cover their food, insurance, and tuition costs, as well as how much money should be set aside for unforeseen costs. We will discuss the cost of living in the United States for international students in this article.
Cost Of Living In The USA
Let’s look at the average annual cost of living in the USA for overseas students, taking into account factors such as tuition, travel, dining out, groceries, etc. The tables that follow show the anticipated cost of living for students in the USA depending on various expenses.
|Total Cost of Living with Off-Campus Accommodation||$1,504|
|Total Cost of Living with On-Campus Accommodation||$1,850|
Accommodation Cost In The USA
The cost of housing comes next when determining an international student’s cost of living in the USA with rent. International students can stay on campus at the majority of American universities, which is unquestionably the less expensive choice. You might also rent an apartment close to your school. If they reside close to campus, international students might also choose to live in a homestay or with local guardians or relatives to save money.
Health Insurance Cost In The USA
The cost of health insurance is one that must be covered. Most institutions offer health insurance to overseas students, while some require them to find their own coverage. Student health insurance typically costs between $1500 and $2500 annually.
Transportation Cost In The USA
Depending on where you reside and the distance you go, the monthly cost of travel can range from $40 to $100 for international students who rely on public transportation for transportation and travel.
Other Essential Expenses
Other costs, such as those for food, clothing, books, stationery, and other miscellaneous items, fall under the category of the cost of living in the USA for students. These commodities’ prices differ based on the buyer and city.
The costs listed above are those associated with living a standard life. However, extra costs such as the following could cause the expenses to increase:
- The cost of vacation travel from India to the US and vice versa
- Spending on things like car rentals or other necessities.
- Medical costs not covered by health insurance, such as those for cosmetic procedures, eye exams, and dental checkups
- Entertainment, gatherings, and weekend getaways
Tips To Reduce The Cost Of Living In The USA
By taking these crucial actions, Indian students’ living expenses in the US can be reduced. Let’s minimize the amount of your personal and study bills.
- First, compare the cost of living in the USA based on the state and university.
- When a student converts their money using a bank, there may occasionally be additional fees deducted. Choose providers of money exchange that are transparent.
- Students can lower their cost of living in the USA by making simple cuts like turning off unnecessary energy appliances, using the bus or train, cooking their own meals, etc.
- Another choice that helps lower the cost of living in the USA for Indian students is part-time employment. A student can thus work in the mornings, evenings, or on the weekends.
These easy tips will help you manage your money better and spend less in the USA. But if you’re still unsure about how to apply for scholarships, choose a university, or find suitable housing, go with UniAcco. Your study abroad trip will be guided by our counsellors, who will make it easy for you to realize your dreams.
1. Which American city is best for international students to reside in?
California is the best American city for foreign students. For Indian students, the average monthly cost in the USA is $4000.
2. Which states have the highest monthly costs for Indian students studying in the USA?
States like Hawaii, New York, California, Maryland, and New Jersey have among the highest monthly costs in the USA.
3. Which American universities provide the lowest tuition fees to international students?
Brigham Young University-Provo, Eastern New Mexico University, Nicholls State University, Bridgewater State University, Mississippi University for Women, etc. are some of the most relatively affordable universities in the United States for Indian students.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading our blog on the ‘cost of living in the USA.’ Don’t forget to check out our other blogs: