Living away from home can be exhilarating. To have that kind of freedom and independence is truly unmatched. Living without a curfew, quite literally doing whatever you want and having your own terms!
But with great power comes great responsibility, no?
Living alone, without an adult, comes with its own set of duties. Chores that you otherwise didn’t have to blink an eye for. But these chores only sound terrifying. They don’t have to be!
One of the most important tasks you’ll have is cleaning and it’s quite easy when you have the hacks for it.
So, here are some room cleaning life hacks that university students everywhere must know!
Vinegar Is Your Best Friend
Vinegar is mildly acidic. This acid can help you clean, unclog, erase, wipe, you name it!
Here are some room cleaning hacks with vinegar:
- Soak a paper towel with vinegar and get down to scrubbing your shower. The acid will get off stains of soap and moisture and leave your shower squeaky clean.
- Fill a plastic bag with vinegar, tie it to your shower head with an elastic and leave overnight for an unclogged shower head!
- Nothing’s worse than a clogged pipe. To keep your drains fresh and clog free, pour a cup of vinegar in them every two weeks.
- A dorm mattress can be a breeding house for god-knows-what. Spray vinegar on the mattress, sprinkle baking soda over it and cover with a towel for two hours. Finally go over with a vacuum and you have disinfected mattresses.
Dryer Sheets Outside The Dryer
Dryer sheets don’t have to be restricted to the laundry room. You can get as creative with them as you’d like.
Here are a few room cleaning hacks with dryer sheets:
- Since dryer sheets reduce static cling, they can remove dust from the smallest of crevices. Use a dryer sheet to clean your television sets, laptop screens and baseboards. It will even prevent dust for a few days.
- Is your room smelling a little funky even after cleaning? Line smelly areas with a trusty dryer sheet like your dustbins, cupboards, shoes, basically, anything you want to keep fresh!
Use The 12-12-12 Rule
If you have so much mess lying around that you don’t know where to begin, use the 12-12-12 rule. Start by trashing 12 items like soda cans and paper napkins. Next, take 12 items you don’t need or rarely use anymore and donate them or give them away to someone you know who may need it. Finally, return 12 things to their assigned places like your shoes and books. In no time, you will have cleared 36 things from your room and you can finally rest without feeling overwhelmed.
Baking Soda To Your Rescue
Did the sloppy midnight bingeing of red sauce pasta leave a stain on your carpet? Baking soda to the rescue!
Vinegar paired with baking soda and even baking soda on its own is an essential cleaning supply that you must have!
Here are some hacks for a clean room with baking soda.
- Mix 1 tbsp dishwashing liquid with 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp baking soda in warm water for a DIY anti-stain solution. Spray the solution on a carpet stain and blot with a clean rag.
- Sprinkle a good amount of baking soda over smelly and stained upholstery and let sit for half an hour. Then run your vacuum over the stain to reveal clean and fresh upholstery.
Cleaning doesn’t have to be as intimidating. Especially when you have a few tricks and hacks up your sleeve. Now, you can finally spend time worrying about studies and assignments, not cleaning and mopping.