Many times, students get excited about their Extended Project Qualification and can’t wait to start writing. But when it’s time to actually sit down and choose a topic, students are overwhelmed with EPQ ideas and fail to get started. Well, not anymore! Let’s learn how to write a perfect EPQ by selecting the right kind of EPQ ideas.
What Is EPQ?
Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) is a standalone qualification that is equivalent to 50% of an A level. An EPQ can either be a dissertation or an investigation/field study backed up with paperwork. The standard guideline is that the EPQ should be around 5,000 words. It is mainly taken by students from England, Wales and Northern Island. About 30,000 students take an EPQ each year. It is currently graded A*-E.
What Are Some Good EPQ Ideas?
The success of your EPQ depends on the topic you choose. Before we discuss EPQ ideas, let’s understand some guidelines on choosing a topic. The two possible options for research paper topics – either the ‘dissertation’ or the ‘investigation/field study’.
Dissertation – A theoretical written project on any topic by presenting an argument, e.g. research into a biological, historical or environmental issue”. Dissertations are fairly straightforward.
Investigation – A practical investigatory project involving the collection of data, e.g. a scientific investigation, a geographical study of erosion, a biological study of pollution, a statistical survey, etc. These are backed by a lot of data and paperwork.
Here are some criteria for what characterises good and feasible topic ideas –
- Do the title and topic allow you to plan, research, analyse, evaluate, and explain? You won’t go far (in the essay at least) if you just describe or narrate.
- Are you actually going to be able to do this project on your own?
- Can you do what the topic needs you to do in the timescale and word count and with the resources and sources available?
- Will you understand the material that you are working with?
- Is there any risk that you won’t be as impartial as you should be?
Try to answer these five questions before you decide on your topic and start your research.
Looking for Student Accommodation in UK?
Fill this form and get in touch with an expert
Here are some fun EPQ ideas based on different subjects –
- Why Did The United States of America Join WW2 So Late?
- Has The British Public Lost Interest In The Royal Family Since World War 2?
- Is It Wrong For A Country To Focus More On Teaching Their Own History Than Other History?
- Was The Bombing Of Hiroshima And Nagasaki Justified?
- How Did The British Empire Become So Large?
- What Have We Learned From The Events Of The Holocaust?
- How Did Hitler Gain Such A Massive Following?
- Pandemics Throughout History And Their Effects.
- How Do We Document Historic Information?
- When Did We First Realise The Impact Of Our Activities On The Planet?
- Why Did It Take So Long To Fix The Smog In London?
- How Do We Ensure That Disasters Like Chernobyl And Fukushima Never Happen Again?
- The Vandalism Of Our Historic Monuments.
- Why Didn’t We Accept The Use Of Electric Vehicles When We Had The Chance 50 Years Ago?
- How Have Women’s Roles Changed Throughout History?
- How Has History Proved That A Democracy Is Better Than A Dictatorship?
- Why Was India So Valuable To The British Empire?
- How Has The Way Humans Cook Changed Over Time?
- How Far Back Can We Accurately Recall History?
- Should There Be A Minimum Wage?
- What Effect Does Illegal Immigration Have On The UK Economy?
- The Myth Of “Trickle Down” Economics.
- How Has The Global Demand For Oil Changed Over Time?
- Why Wealth Inequality Is Not As Big Of An Issue As People Think.
- What Effect Has Brexit Had On The UK Economy?
- Does The UK Have The Financial Ability To Accommodate More Immigrants?
- How Did The 2008 Financial Crisis Affect The UK Economy?
- Can Environmental Economics Solve The Problem Of Climate Change?
- What Does The Future Look Like For Emerging Economies?
- The Economic Theory Surrounding Diamonds And Water And How It Is Applied.
- Are The World’s Wealthy Economies Built On Debts?
- How Petrol And Diesel Prices Fluctuate Over Time And How These Prices Mirror Real-World Events.
- What Are The Chances Of Another Global Recession?
- The Contribution Of Higher Education Towards The Economy.
- Why Can Economics Often Fail To Account For The Value Of Housing?
- How Can Irrational Consumer Behaviours Damage An Economy?
- Economics As A Social Science.
- How Do Economies Successfully Allocate And Utilise Scarce Resources?
- The Relationship Between Marginal Benefit And Supply And Demand.
- How Have Gender Roles Changed In Novels Over Time?
- What Techniques Do Writers Use To Make The Reader Agree With A Particular Opinion?
- How Has Our Use Of Language Changed Since The Development Of The Internet?
- To What Extent Are Journalists At Risk Of Being Replaced By Computers?
- How Did Literature Change In The 1800s?
- The Origins Of Punctuation And Why It Was Needed
- How To Have An Effective Debate
- What Impact Did Literature Have During WW2?
- Are Girls Better At English Than Boys?
- Why Is Mass Media So Biased?
- What Made Shakespeare’s Plays So Unique?
- Will Technology Influence The Originality Of Creative Writing?
- How Jane Austin Used Her Novels To Address Feminism And Its Effect At The Time.
- Is The Use Of Narrators Becoming Outdated?
- The Role Of Language Teaching For Dyslexia Students, Does It Work?
- Why General English Is Not Enough For Employability?
- Can Gaming Support Language Learning?
- Should English Be Considered An Art Or An Academic Skill?
- The Rise Of Gothic Literature.
- To What Extent Do The Writing Styles Of Men And Women Differ?
- What Factors Increase Your Chance Of Injury While Playing Sport?
- What Factors Affect A Sport’s Participation Rate?
- Winter Olympics VS Summer Olympics
- Should Women Be Allowed To Compete Against Men Professionally?
- How Has Statistical Analysis Changed The Sporting Industry?
- How Much More Efficient Does The Right Diet Make An Athlete?
- Should Violent Sports Be Televised?
- To What Extent Is Politics Affecting Sports?
- Is Aggression Properly Controlled In Sports?
- The Importance Of Mental Training When Preparing For Competition.
- Are All The Best Sports Commentator’s Ex-Sports Players?
- Are Sporting Bodies To Blame For The Lack Of Interest In Women’s Sports?
- The Relationship Between Contact Sports And Brain Trauma.
- How Do Businesses Use Sports To Advertise?
- What Aspects Of Sport Have Been Changed Due To New Technological Developments?
- Who Gets To Decide The Rules For A Sport?
- Are Sporting Fans Too Emotionally Involved?
- The Role Of Sports Journalism Within The Sporting Industry.
- How Is Drug Testing Effectively Managed Within Sports?
- Evaluating The Gender Pay Gap In Sport
- What Is A Fair Salary For A CEO?
- Has The Music Industry Been Hurt By The Rise Of The Internet?
- How To Make An Effective Logo For Your Business
- How And Why Do Business Adapt Their Marketing Strategies?
- How Much Do Taxes Hurt Small Business Owners?
- How Apple Became The Tech Giant It Is Today.
- The Psychology Behind Advertising.
- The Value Of Becoming A Private Limited Company.
- The Ways To Control A Business’s Supply Chain.
- What Are The Stages Of Decision Making Within Large Corporations?
- How Does Politics Intervene In The Business World?
- How Is Project Management Run?
- How Important Is Stock Control?
- How Has The Airline Industry Developed Over Time?
- To What Extent Is Spotify’s Business Model Sustainable?
- Do Big International Companies Pay Their Fair Share In Taxes?
- How Are Successful Start-Ups Formed?
- Evaluating The Case For A Single Global Currency.
- How Does VAT Affect UK Businesses?
- The Ethical Problems Surrounding A Business Outsourcing Their Work.
- Should We Experiment On Embryos For Medical Research?
- Should Euthanasia Be Allowed In The UK?
- Should People Be Forced To Die If Ageing Is Ever Cured?
- Are Society’s Perceptions Of What’s Right And Wrong Based On Christianity?
- Should We Always Respect A Patients Choice (Even If It’s Wrong)?
- Should We Impose Measures To Control The Global Population?
- The Complicated Ethics Surrounding Self-Driving Cars.
- What Determines Someone’s Inner Moral Compass?
- Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?
- Is It Ethical To Raise A Child In A Purely Religious Environment?
- Should We Impose Measures To Control The Global Population?
- Should All Animal Testing Be Banned?
- Should Prenatal Scans Be Allowed?
- Should Women Who Incorrectly Accuse Men Of Rape Be Severely Prosecuted?
- Why Does Torture Still Occur In The World?
- Why Is Slavery Still Going On?
- Is Online Privacy Important?
- Should Everyone Receive Free Healthcare?
- How Many Immigrants Should Wealthy Countries Accept?
- How Can We Be Sure To Eradicate AI Bias?
What Is The Purpose Of EPQ?
The main objective of EPQ is to make students understand the real meaning of research. It also helps students demonstrate and develop their project management skills that are highly valued for progression to higher education and employment. By having free rein in selecting the topic of the EPQ, students improve their decision-making skills.
What Are The Benefits Of EPQ?
The real benefit of working painstakingly on your EPQ is that it provides you with good practice for uni. For instance, if you’re headed to uni to study English Literature, writing essays will obviously be a big part of your curriculum, and EPQs will help you hone your writing skills. You will also feel liberated knowing you completed a lengthy 5,000-word essay, all on your own and with your own ideas too! Additionally, EPQ not only looks good on your personal statement (when it’s time to apply to universities) but also lowers the grade requirements for a few courses. So, make sure to check if your chosen course has any sort of lower grade requirements.
Source: Think Student